Monday 24 October 2016

Country to Country 2017: Line Up announcement

Howdy!
This evening, the first batch of artists were announced for next year's Country 2 Country (C2C). Like many Country fans across the UK, I waited excitedly, like a child on Christmas eve for the announcement.
However, after fantasising since March about my perfect line up for next year, I think it's fair to say I have mixed emotions about the artists that have been announced.
The first headline acts announced at the launch event were Brad Paisley and Zac Brown Band.

I am a big fan of Brad Paisley and would love the opportunity to see him live. Thousands of UK fans were left disappointed when his London and Dublin concerts were cancelled earlier this year so the news of a headline slot at C2C provides a perfect alternative - great job C2C!



Zac Brown Band are also a great choice and have a history of success in the UK. Their headline performance at Wembley Arena in 2015 was a huge success. In addition to this, they are C2C alumni after headlining alongside Brad Paisley in 2014. At this point, it is clear the British fans love this band and will no doubt, pack out the O2 Arena in 2017 to see them.


Other artists who have been announced so far:


Brother's Osborne
If I'm honest, I didn't know very much at all about this duo prior to this years C2C announcement. I had heard them on Chris Country radio before but that was the extent of my knowledge of them. After the announcement, I have listened to their debut album, Pawn Shop and I must say, I am impressed. They are one of the new faces in 2017's C2C crowd but with two CMA award nominations less than a year after releasing their debut album, I have no doubt that they will be fantastic.

                                          Dan+Shay
I was somewhat expecting this duo to be included in the line-up after their recent success on tour here in the UK. They will put on a very good set of good Country songs. However, I feel that this news comes a little too soon after their UK tour. Many UK fans have had the opportunity to see this band and personally, I would have preferred someone new or someone who the UK hasn't hosted for a while.


Hunter Hayes
I went to see Hunter Hayes in October 2015 and he was great! His eclectic range of upbeat Country-Pop and heartfelt ballads is absolutely perfect for the C2C atmosphere.



Maren Morris
I have been a huge fan of Maren Morris since I heard her self-titled EP towards the end of 2015. I was lucky enough to see her perform on the Yamaha stage at C2C 2016 and with her album on repeat, have been anticipating her return to the UK. I would love to see her play a longer set as at C2C this year, she only had time for a few songs. Perhaps my favourite artist on the 2017 line-up!

Cam
Cam was high on my list of predictions for C2C 2017. Her single, Burning House took the Country community by storm and now with two CMA nominations under her belt, including best song, she's sure to be a strong asset to the 2017 festival.


Chris Young
Another artist on the bill, preparing to make his return to C2C after performing alongside Brad Paisley and Zac Brown Band in 2014. Again I would personally have preferred to see someone new but I appreciate that Chris Young has the essential star quality to create a buzz for this year's festival. In addition, it will give anyone who didn't see him four years ago at C2C, the opportunity to see him this time.


Darius Rucker
The news that Darius Rucker would be on the line-up came as a surprise to me. I hadn't heard anything of him since his 2013 smash hit, Wagon Wheel. Though perhaps this is due to him not getting the promotion he deserves, or just my own ignorance. Either way, as a Country fan, despite him being a very talented artist, I personally feel that Darius doesn't have the star quality of previous C2C artists.


Jennifer Nettles
Jennifer Nettles is another artist who I was surprised to hear was featured on the bill. I wouldn't class myself as a fan of her music and would again argue that the name Jennifer Nettles simply doesn't generate the same buzz as names from previous years such as Dixie Chicks, Martina McBride and Little Big Town.

To conclude, I don't think that the 2017 line-up so far is necessarily a bad line-up. However, it simply doesn't compare with the high standards of previous years. 2015 for example, saw Country royalty, Lee Ann Womack as an opener to the CMA Entertainer of the year, Luke Bryan.
I love C2C because it provides British fans with the opportunity to see their favourite artists. Artists who fans otherwise wouldn't be able to see live without travelling to the USA. This year, the majority of artists on the bill, are artists who the UK has hosted before. I would very much prefer to see something new- especially considering the price of tickets.
However, it is important to keep in mind that many more artists, including another headliner, are still to be announced and I will continue to dream about who that might be. I would love to see Tim and Faith bring their Soul2Soul tour to London - it is a "world" tour after all.
I also am incredibly excited about the prospect of another CMA Songwriters Series which is always my favourite part of the festival.
Finally, I would like to add that Country 2 Country would not be the magical experience that it is without the 20,000 Country fans who make the annual pilgrimage to the O2 Arena to sing along to their favourite songs. I have been to a lot of concerts and nothing compares to the atmosphere at the O2 during C2C.



No comments:

Post a Comment